Bits of Our History
- In 1960-61 Rachel Grey organized a Newcomers Club in hopes of making adjustments to a new community easier for other newcomers. She became Mayor of High Point 1972-1974 and a North Carolina State Senator 1976-1984.
- 1974 the first By-laws were drawn up.
- 1980 the Club started manning the registration booths at the Furniture Market.
- 1983 the Club put on a Las Vegas Night at the Top of the Mart (a downtown exclusive restaurant) and raised $2000 toward the building fund of the new (our current) hospital.
- 1985 about 20 members had a “Ladies Day Out” by taking a flight to New York City for a day of shopping, sightseeing and going to plays.
- 1987 the first cookbook was made and sold for $3.00.
- 1990 the first White Elephant/Auction was held (currently called the Tea Cup Auction).
- 2002 member Paula Carney started catering our lunches – and still does!
- 2011 we celebrated our 50th year with a Golden Friendships Golden Memories luncheon held at Embassy Suites. Max Meeks was keynote speaker and past presidents talked about the club through the decades.
Other Bits of Our History